Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Highland Learning Center
Below you will find the research questions and some resources for each of the topic areas. Don't forget to check the print materials available as well. Remember, you will need to cite your sources.
Learning Center Works Cited Guide
will help you.
What are the three basic kinds of coral reefs in the Caribbean?
How are coral reefs made?
What kind of life is found on a reef?
How are reefs endangered and what is being done about it?
CORAL REEFS RESOURCES
Corals and Coral Reefs
- A guide from Busch Gardens, Sea World, and Discovery School about with many links leading to coral-related information.
Sea and Sky: Reef Life
- A section of J.D. Knight's award winning site devoted to coral reefs.
Coral Reef Adventure: About Corals and Coral Reefs
- Research material about coral reefs from the IMAX movie,
Coral Reef Adventure
Brain Pop Video about Coral Reefs
Where is Curacao?
Briefly give some history of the island.
Share other points of general information (at least three things) your classmates might find interesting.
Curacao Travel Guides
- Be sure toe explore the history and other links found at the top right of the page.
Bon Bini Curacao
- The official web site of teh Curacao Tourist Board. Use the dropdown menu under Curacau Difference for information on history adn other information about the island.
CIA World Factbook Guide to Netherlands Antilles
- Curacao is one of the five islands that make up the Netherlands Antilles, which is part of the Kingdome of the Netherlands.
Attila's Curacao Page
- Overview of the island from a former resident, Attila Narin.
What is a hurricane?
How do hurricanes form?
Why do we name hurricanes?
Comment on the U.S. hurricane problem.
What should you do if a hurricane is approaching where you live? How do you prepare?
What are Hurricanes
- This Exploring the Environment module discusses hurricanes. Be sure to check out the links on the left side of the screen.
Sky Diary KIDSTORM Facts about Hurricanes
- Information about hurricanes illustrated with photographs of storms.
- A resource from AccuWeather about the development of hurricanes, famous hurricanes of the past, and
how hurricanes are named - look at the sections on the right side of the page for more information.
FEMA: Are You Ready?
- A guide from the Federal Emergency Management Administration about hurricanes with a section on preparing for hurricanes - look especially at the take protective measures section.
- Online resources from the Miama Museum of Science.
Brain Pop Video about Hurricanes
What is malaria?
What causes malaria?
What are the symptoms of malaria?
How is malaria treated?
- Fact Monster encyclopedia article about malaria.
Frequently Asked Questions: CDC Malaria
- Center for Disease Control resource for malaria.
Fighting Disease: Malaria
A resource from the United Nations educational group about malaria.
- Information about the disease from the World Health Organization.
Malaria in Decline in Africa
- Interesting graphic about malaria in sub-Saharan Africa.
Describe the evolution and life cycle of a shark.
Describe the habitat of sharks.
What do sharks eat?
Comment on the likelihood of sharks attacking people.
- San Diego Natural History Museum resource on sharks. Be sure to check out the FAQ page and Shark Parts.
- Fact Monster Encyclopedia article about sharks.
- Myths and statistics about sharks from Fact Monster.
Island of the Sharks
- A NOVA resource about sharks. Check out the World of Sharks and the Sharkmaster section
Brain Pop Video about Sharks>
Describe Mr. Taylor's life.
What other books has he written?
Give a SHORT summary of three of his other books that you think might interest your classmates.
THEODORE TAYLOR RESOURCES
- Theodore Taylor's home page.
Meet Theodore Taylor
- A brief biography of Theodore Taylor and a listing of his novels from Houghton Mifflin.
- You need a username & password to access this site. Choose the NoveList database. Do a search for Theodore Taylor. You'll get a full list of the fiction he has written. Click on titles for book description, a biography, and links to other resources.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"